Friday, July 8, 2011

Major Graham Mansion

I discovered this house on the Internet while looking for things to do on a family outing. I couldn't wait to go visit a mansion!!!! I was so excited!!! This is what I saw!!! Isn't it beautiful!!!

This is the side view and actually what you walk upon. The white part is the original and the brick was added later.
I love the architecture!!!
 I like this view...the columns in the front are iron.
I expected it to look beautiful on the inside and I was disappointed!!! It's fallen in to disrepair. The wood work just doesn't shine.
 This was a "family outing" so there are lots of pics which include my family.
 The house is said to be haunted by several spirits. All I wanted to do was grab a hammer and Spackle knife and get to work!!!
 Is is just me or are you dying to splash a coat of paint on the walls???
 This was called the brides room.
 A bride would test her diamond ring out on the window to make certain it was real. If you look closely you can see there were lots of ladies trying the theory out.
 I also had to fight off the urge to hang pictures on the walls and accessorize. Can you imagine all the beautiful furniture you could fill these rooms with?
 Even the slave quarters were larger than my house!! (That's pretty sad)!
 This was the outdoor kitchen the slaves had to use in the summer to keep from heating up the main house. Imagine what a wonderful guest house it would make.
 Except for the laundry area. They would build a fire under this huge pot and launder their clothes in it......No thank you!!!!
Well, I was convinced I should move in and fix her up (although she's not for sale and not one offered to let me move in for free). I was ready to pack up and get to work. I knew I could fix her up and bring her back to her beautiful self...ghosts or not. My husband and children declined to ever spend one night there much less move in. I guess I'll sit and dream of what could have been!!!

Joining Cindy @ My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday!!!!

7 comments:

  1. I feel for the old house, that is about how mine looked when I bought it. Now stop by and see it 5 years latter. Thanks for sharing, as I love old homes. Richard at My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Crystal, it's truly a diamond in the rough! I can just imagine you in there planning what you'd do first, to make her grand again! Thanks for sharing it with us, it's fun to dream! Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is it? A shame it is in such a state. Thanks for stopping by and yes, good suggestion, I just may have to hide it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful place. You're right, I'm ready to grab gallons of paint and go at it. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But it's soooo beautiful!! I'd take it on in a red hot minute!! Vanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend and I went up there in August I think, Maybe it was september. My friend was talking about the wedding dress and we were looking around. We were standing at the fire place when something banged on the window behind the wedding dress. We got scared and ran out of the house. the mansion is a beautiful place I absolutely loved it! I want to go back back so bad! I just wonder if the bang on the window was the bride testing her diamond ring?

    ReplyDelete
  7. its being restored this yr! Yay!

    ReplyDelete